Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Ratings: Wheel slips into third

TV News Check made a big deal about Wheel of Fortune finishing third among syndie game shows for the week of June 26-July 2. Of course, the comparison is unfair because Wheel only has one daily run, while other game shows (Family Feud in particular) get to add up their ratings from two or four or more daily runs. But who said life is fair? The household ratings...

Family Feud 6.2 -down a couple ticks
Jeopardy 5.5 - flat, so it slips ahead of the soulmate
Wheel of Fortune 5.3 - down a couple ticks into third place
Millionaire 1.6 - down a tick, it was a generally bad week
Celebrity Name Game 1.1 - up a tick in a bit of sadly meaningless good news

The early news is so-so on iWitness. It got an overall 1.0 household rating in seven markets for its debut on July 10. But the New York City numbers were better at 1.3 over July 10-11.

UNRELATED UPDATE: As anybody who reads this blog knows, several trolls from alt.tv.game-shows (yeah, it still somehow exists) have bombarded the blog with nonsense and spam for weeks now. Much of their stuff is about excrement. That's not surprising because their board has an endless supply.

As a result, I've had to put comments on moderation. I know this is an inconvenience for my regular commenters. I enjoy your remarks and will review moderation requests several times a day. It's too bad that a few fools can make life a little more difficult, but what can we do?

14 comments:

  1. Like I said would happen a few weeks ago since Jeopardy still has new episodes until the end of the month wheel would drop in ratings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Jeopardy also has two daily runs to add up the numbers.

      Delete
    2. True but Wheel has had the No. 2 spot for a while until this week thank goodness something changed

      Delete
    3. Speaking of Name Game, my local MNT affilate dropped a half hour of the show. It now airs at 5 am only now. A "Middle" rerun replaced the second run at 5:30 am. So long to Craig and friends.

      I think Jep! is in second because it's the only syndie game right now currently airing new runs and in some markets, it has a second airing. Sony might as well give Wheel another airing if it wants to take Steve and his 3,000 runs down.

      Delete
    4. I think GSN should also add more Wheel. They used to have 2 hours. They could at least drop one hour of Lane Reaction for it, or spice up the weekends by replacing some Feud with it there. That probably wouldn't make anyone too mad.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I went back and deleted some of the more obnoxious alt.tv.g-s troll comments. I didn't get them all because life is too short, but I did some housecleaning. Sorry to my regular commenters for the silliness over the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've gotten rid of those lousy bots

      Delete
    2. I have mixed feelings about it. I really wish I could have continued my loose-ship approach to comments. But the alt.tv.g-s trolls were literally bombarding the blog with repeated spam and nonsense. So I had to go to moderated comments.

      If the trolls want to criticize me harshly, that's fine. As long as they don't fill the blog with repetitious spam and nonsense, I'll let their comments stand. But I can't sit at the keyboard 24/7 and delete spam as it appears over and over.

      Delete
    3. I don't blame you at all if it was my blog I'd do the same thing also

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize Jeopardy had double runs in places. Shows like these make me regret cutting the cord. Really the only thing I miss. Network shows can 've streamed, but not, it seems, syndicated ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you get it reinstated and watch your Vanna White?

      Delete
    2. You'll notice that I let a comment from Leilana, one of the silly spammers, through moderation. The spammer also tried to push through another of the repetitious spams about excrement, and that one died a quick death. Man, they've got a lot of excrement on alt.tv.g-s.

      But the allowed comment was harmless enough, so I let it stand. Even the silly spammers can get comments onto the blog if they follow the rules in "Legalities and Technicalities."

      Delete
  4. Honestly, they must do something about how they tabulate the viewer ratings. It would be fair to divide the rating by the average number of daily runs in each market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nielsen used to publish the average rating for syndie shows. But in 2010 they went to the system of adding up all the ratings for the daily runs. As long as they stick to one method consistently, I don't mind. But the system does punish shows like Wheel of Fortune, which only have one daily run.

      Delete