Sunday, January 22, 2017

Divided we argue

Another lazy day, another repost from Game Show Paradise. This item talks GSN's new Divided and the gripes I always get when I dare to point out the traditionalist tendencies of many game show Internet sites. One poster got so annoyed that he called me a troll and put me on ignore. Oh, dearie dear, whatever shall I do? Why, I'll write my own blog where I don't have to worry about such things...

Other poster: Neither the faults of older game shows or the positives of newer ones are, or should be, ignored.

You're beating down an open door with me. Now tell this to the folks at Game Show Forum or Golden Road or the game show board at Sitcoms Online, among other sites. They make a habit of ignoring the faults of older shows and the positives of newer ones. In fact, the average age of GSF's recent list of fifty top game shows was nearly a half-century, and there was exactly one (1) show on the list that originated in the last ten years. (Hint: it featured Mark Labbett.)

That's what I was talking about when I pointed out the traditionalist tendencies of the game show Interwebs. If some posters take this as personal criticism, I can't help it. The blunt fact is that I don't expect such Internet sites to appreciate Divided. But apparently enough of GSN's audience can stomach the show, if the early numbers are any indication. We'll see what happens over the next several weeks.

By the way, I made my own list of the fifty top game shows. Although I wasn't particularly aiming for chronological balance, the list came out that way. There were at least five shows that originated in each of the seven decades from the 1950s through the 2010s. The decade with the most shows was...the 1950s. So much for the criticism that I don't appreciate older shows. I like good game shows from every era.

As for my being a troll, apparently some people can't stand the slightest disagreement with their posts. That's okay with me. But I never put anybody on ignore. I don't mind disagreement, even when it's harsh. Check the comments on my blog if you don't believe me.

9 comments:

  1. With so little on GSN's upcoming development state, you'd wonder why they don't actually pursue acquiring game shows from other networks, like they used to do so frequently in the past. In fact, what else other than Divided do we know that GSN is actually working on this year? Breaking App? That Shark Tank reality show is almost destined to fail. And what else is there besides that? I haven't heard of anything else that GSN has in the works.

    Surely it must be cheaper to acquire older game shows, even ones that ended years ago, than to keep producing new reality garbage that consistently fails to pull in the ratings. With all the primetime networks focusing so much on reviving traditional game shows, and NBC proving that the million-dollar primetime game show genre can still work in today's environment, you'd think GSN would try something similar.

    I'd love to see reruns of Greed, Winning Lines, Russian Roulette and Duel show up on GSN's schedule. Surely they have to be cheaper than GSN producing new reality garbage, and considering how old they are, at best they would help to break up the hundreds of airings of Family Feud each week. But no, Goldhill and Davis will continue to avoid the acquisition route until the end of time itself. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better if they showed Family Feud with Richard Dawson, aka Sir Richard Veisaid.

      Delete
    2. I imagine that GSN would eventually be a contestant on Celebrity Bucket Kickers. With very little original programming on the slate and the schedule being devoted to Harvey Feud, it's hard to think positively.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. Why was my comment removed? Was it a duplicate of the above post? It happens sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Calling you a troll is an insult to me and the other great shows on ATGS! Also, every game show made before 1990 is crap, except for Press Your Luck, because Tomarken is God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I'M ON DRUGS! I'M ON MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND PRESCRIPTION PILLS THAT I GOT THROUGH OBAMACARE! OUR MORONIC DOUCHEBAG PRESIDENT BETTER NOT TAKE THOSE AWAY FROM ME!

      (BTW, I meant to say that calling Casey a troll is an insult to me and the other great *trolls* on ATGS.)

      Delete
  3. Yes, Hutato tries to be the class clown, and he's really bad at it. But as long as he doesn't violate this blog's very loose guidelines for comments, I have to put up with him.

    ReplyDelete