Monday, November 21, 2016

Ruckus

I'm always causing trouble. The latest tiff occurred on Game Show Paradise.

Commenting about GSN's recent schedule shuffle, I said: "To be honest, I've never had much use for Card Sharks or PYL/Whammy. Both formats always seemed simplistic and dull to me. So if one show replaces another, I have no strong feelings about it." Another poster took exception and told me: "I suggest imagining yourself as one of the contestants on those programs as you watch them. You just might become as happy and excited as them and start enjoying those programs."

Which hardly seemed like the worst rebuke I've ever received. It wouldn't qualify as a rebuke at all on Game Show Forum, where I rank between pond scum and really smelly pond scum as an object of derision. But other posters piled in - for and against - and pretty soon a moderator had to warn everybody.

I summed it up this way...

"Sorry, but I just find the random button-pushing on PYL/Whammy and the acey-deucey on Card Sharks to be pretty boring. (I always make an exception for Michael Larson, who produced the most brilliant solve in game show history.) Other people obviously like the shows because they've both had decent runs in a number of different versions. No big deal, just different strokes."

11 comments:

  1. Go figure Mario500 joined in the fun. I wouldn't give any mind to his replies (which I'm sure you're not anyway).

    Your views might not always be well received, but that doesn't mean that you're not entitled to your opinion. So you don't like Card Sharks. Oh well! To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, I never attacked you for not being a fan of those two shows, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Card Sharks was well received because of the play along factor. I despised some of the long winded reasoning behind the poll answers. I watched for the money cards, as I've always been a huge fan of the gambling type games. I also believe PYL made it because of the contestants. You could root for or against because they were either likeable or a big jerk. C'mon Whammy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Playing the main game was not exciting, but the money cards was where all the action was.

      Delete
  4. So, why do you read GSF, when you were banned from there years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I don't know if I was ever formally banned from Game Show Forum, though I hope I was. It would be an honor. They just don't accept new members any more. Haven't accepted them for a long time.

    Truth be told, I don't look at the board that much any more. They don't get much traffic, at least in the few areas they expose to public view. I just checked the board, and there's only one thread that's gotten any new posts today, November 22. And it's only gotten three of them.

    In case you're interested, the thread is about game shows hosts who have won sports titles. Not exactly a hot topic. Meanwhile, GSF's entire GSN and Buzzr section hasn't gotten one new post since November 17.

    Anyway, I do check GSF now and then, just like I look over a lot of game show sites. But nowadays I spend a much more time on Game Show Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSF is a wasteland. They don't even discuss what's happening on Celebrity Bucket Kickers!

      Delete
  6. Game SHow FOrum jumped the shark when they stopped allowing new members circa December 2013 when they left Invision for their new home and Matt Ottinger stopped moderating. I am at least partially responsible for them not allowing new members.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Casey, I thought you said you weren't going to delete Zach Horan's posts! The Elder Statesman of ATGS deserves more respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nevermind, Zach's comments were in another post. Keep allowing Zach to post here - he and Scott Rahner are the greatest game show information sources on the web!

      Delete