Friday, November 18, 2016

A GSN Christmas

Readers of this blog know that I've had a little fun with GSN lately.

For some reason the network has decided to stop sending me their advance schedules. So I've had to learn about coming attractions from ScreenerTV (formerly Zap2It). I've also been a little - well, a lot - harsh on the network's recent programming decisions: Hellevator, Scare Tactics, Window What-the-hey. Truth be told, the Nielsen Company has been really harsh on the decisions, too.

So I'm happy to report that one gentleman at GSN seems okay with me. Or at least he doesn't sound too upset. I won't mention his name, but he just sent me an e-mail with news about GSN's annual Christmas black-and-white stunt. Monday through Friday December 19-30, GSN will run What's My Line and I've Got a Secret in the 3:00 AM hour. The e-mail has details on the original run dates and guest celebs on the eps.

Of course, Buzzr runs WML and IGAS every weekday, along with To Tell the Truth. And there's always YouTube with its veritable plethora (R.I.P. Howard Cosell) of old game shows. But it's nice to see that GSN hasn't completely forgotten the ancient classics from the '50s and '60s.

Speaking of the GSN schedule, a commenter alerts me to major changes on weekdays. Wheel of Fortune expands to four airings 11:00 AM-1:00 PM. The Chase takes over the 4:00 PM slot. Whammy pops up at 10:00 AM, between Press Your Luck and 25K Pyramid. The biggest surprise for me is the heavy WoF use.

One other note: it looks like Catherwood Chain Reaction will get the 3:30 PM slot on weekdays, as GSN's Pyramid drops off the schedule. I hope both Michael and the Beast do well in the afternoon. That might persuade GSN to make new eps of both shows.

22 comments:

  1. Maybe Wheel is doing well at 11 am. Karn leaves for the 345,678th time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have established that GSN does not want to leave Karn on permanently. But I'm sure it will be back.

      Delete
  2. I asked Douglas Pucci about Wheel's ratings on GSN a while ago, and they weren't good at all. It was just one day, though. Maybe things have perked up since then. Or maybe GSN just figures that Wheel will do better than Karn Feud at noon.

    I'm still a little surprised that Sony is allowing four daily runs of recent Wheel on GSN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sony doesn't mind Wheel run on GSN 4 times a day. But they most certainly do not want them to air it in primetime, where the new Wheel episodes air in syndication.

      Delete
    2. I assure you, Wheel of Fortune will never do better than Karn Feud at noon, considering they were already airing Wheel of Fortune at 11:00 anyway. And I happen to love Karn Feud so I'm quite upset.

      Delete
  3. The chase is gonna rip through all 53 episodes in no time. Isn't it still airing in a couple prime time slots also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 53 (Wikipedia says 51) eps is forever for GSN. They've been grinding through the 40 eps of their Pyramid for years. At least that show will now get a rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't they just drop one of the Dylan Lane Chain Reactions instead? Have Lane at 2pm and Catherwood at 2:30pm followed by Catch 21 and GSN Pyramid.

      Delete
  5. A lot of WML and IGAS episodes feature people who appeared on 2016 episodes of Celebrity Bucket Kickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR BUTT KICKED INTO....

      Delete
    2. Casey block this douche bag spammer

      Delete
  6. Time's up for Horan. I refuse to help you anymore Casey, since you harbor this known troll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let the door hit your ass, Harv-O!

      Delete
  7. Harvey Daye calling someone ELSE a troll! Oh, the irony!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are no more "CCs", haven't been since September 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should bring back the cyberial cigar posts, Zach! I don't care what those Feminazis say, you were being a perfect gentleman!

      Delete
  9. Everybody calm down, please. Horan's bucket-kicking comments are annoying, I agree, but I can't really trash them as long as he doesn't spam zillions of posts with exact repetitions (see Taylor, Michael). I run a pretty loose ship on comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Michael Taylor is right! You need to demand that GSN resume sending you the latest schedules NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  10. SOme people don't stay calm, Casey, you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well. The annual B&W game shows have wrapped up for another season on GSN. Normally I would be super happy to finally see B&W shows on TV, except this time was a bit different. Perhaps it's because I already got to see most of these same episodes on Buzzr over the last few weeks, complete with their original commercials, no credit crunches, and no network advertising at the bottom of the screen. I know it's a lot to ask, but for 2 weeks per year, in the middle of the night, when ratings don't matter anyhow, couldn't they just air the shows as they appeared originally? I know the commercials exist, and another network does this every night.

    ReplyDelete