Sunday, October 2, 2016

No respect, I tell ya (cont. again)

I don't want to become a pest about this. But do game shows ever get any respect?

A review of an online version of Wheel of Fortune kicks off with this condescending remark...

Wheel of Fortune Free Play is a game that's simultaneously quite fun and utterly forgettable. Kind of like the TV show it's based on. We've all enjoyed a few episodes of Wheel of Fortune here and there, but I can't imagine anyone has thought "I can't wait to see the next show!" The gaming equivalent is much the same. It's fun, but you won’t exactly be rushing to return to it.

I don't know how many people are dying with anticipation for any TV show. But enough folks over the years have decided that Wheel of Fortune is worth watching. That's why it's lasted through four decades of continuous broadcasts. Still, it's just a game show, so it's fair game for the snidest of the snide.

Maybe I should be happy that game shows get zero respect from self-important critics. The snobbery might help to give the genre a pleasant down-to-earth appeal.

1 comment:

  1. I think "Price" should have three Showcases because that will definitely guarantee a winner.

    ReplyDelete