Sunday, October 30, 2016

More on Buzzr

Another weekend and I'm lazy again. So a repost from Game Show Paradise, about my suggestion for Buzzr's future...

Other poster: Source for this [comment by another poster about Bob Barker's preferences on possible The Price is Right reruns]? Only episodes known to be banned are the fur episodes.

Agree. Only thing I've ever heard about Barker's preferences is the nyet on fur. Well, he probably wouldn't like a few of the models, either, but I've never heard anything specific on this.

Two things. First, I doubt that Barker has any legal rights to veto any TPiR eps from re-airing. Second, though Fremantle would of course only want to re-air eps that would meet with Barker's approval, they would still have no problem putting together a nice package for Buzzr. They've got thousands of episodes to choose from.

I have no idea if Barker TPiR will ever see the light of diginet. But if Buzzr really wants to build itself into a significant competitor with GSN, Barker TPiR is the kind of major property that could help make it happen. I can't think of any other Fremantle oldie (not currently on Buzzr) which would have nearly as much impact. Now You See It or Trivia Trap wouldn't exactly make a gigantic splash.

Sure, if Buzzr ever decides to go with recent shows, Harvey Feud would obviously be the impact choice. But I think Fremantle enjoys those rights fees from GSN too much. And I don't see Buzzr going away from oldies any time soon, anyway. That seems to be their niche and they're sticking to it.

2 comments:

  1. Casey, why is GSN doing this? Why is GSN reducing the mailing list of those who get the advance schedules, such as Gameshownetworknews? I hope you have not been pruned by them. You received two new ones last week, after GSN started doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if GSN is really cutting down the mailing list. It's just something that Scott Rahner said on his blog. We'll see if I keep getting the pdfs.

    ReplyDelete