Saturday, October 29, 2016

Long division

Pictures of GSN's upcoming Divided have bounced around the game show Interwebs.

I've been pretty hard on our little game show network lately. The ratings have taken a tumble, and GSN seems to have lost its way with the clunker Hellevator season and the weird acquisition of icky reality junk Scare Tactics. On the plus side, recent Wheel of Fortune has come to GSN daytime and reruns of The Chase to prime time. Now the network is launching a new game show, of all things.

Divided was a short-lived Brit format that spawned a number of international versions. Teams of complete strangers debate among themselves over trivia questions. Eventually they make their case as to who deserves the biggest share of the loot. Believe it or not (and this is Wikipedia, so caveat believer) an academic paper got written about decision making on the show. It found "no evidence of a first-mover advantage and little evidence that demographic characteristics matter."

So now you know. At Game Show Network News Scott Rahner predicts Mike Richards will "likely" host. You can still watch Mike every weekday afternoon on GSN's respectable version of Pyramid. I couldn't find any independent confirmation of Scott's hunch, but we'll see. There's no debut date yet.

By the way, Scott also says that GSN has pruned the list of people who get the advance schedules. Gee, I hope my recent grumbles about the network don't cost me my place (wink).

9 comments:

  1. I think GSN is making a big mistake bringing "Divided" onto their network. I'm predicting that show is going to be a dud or failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But since no one cares what you think, your opinion is irrelevant. Divided could be a hit.

      Delete
    2. So which mean you're showing favoritism.

      Delete
  2. Casey, I hope you'll continue to receive the PDFs, like you did earlier this week. Why is GSN doing this? I hope they're not doing this on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something to do with a change at GSN about how they want to send their schedules. It's nothing against me or for Casey. But I've been told the people who send the schedules are trying to convince the higher-ups to get myself and others back on the list.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't Divided be called United? A UNITED decision gets you cash & remaining divided send all home with nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick: I like this a lot! I wonder if GSN could have changed the name from buying the rights to produce the UK version.

      Or better yet, produce a show called "United" that is vaguely similar to 'Divided' but not too similar since 'Divided' did not last too long.

      Delete