Wednesday, October 5, 2016

GSN's favorite demo

I've been pretty harsh on GSN for chasing that ever elusive 18-49 demo.

To be blunt, I think this crazy demo desire has led the network into some flat-out wrong programming decisions, like getting rid of The Chase and Mike Catherwood's Chain Reaction - two superb shows and solid Nielsen performers - in favor of stuff like Steampunk'd and Window Whatever. So it was with a sneaking wish for bad numbers that I asked Douglas Pucci for the ratings on GSN's Hellevator marathon last Friday (September 30).

To say I got my wish would be an understatement. Douglas' reply...

GSN 9/30, in total viewers (adults 18-49)
9:00 Hellevator 150K (56K)
10:00 Hellevator 79K (37K)
11:00 Hellevator 96K (34K)

Sure, these were reruns of the first season, which ended in a smoking Nielsen wreck. But even I didn't think the show would turn in these all-time wretched ratings. It's obvious that Hellevator mainly appealed to the nonexistent demo. (The first hour "benefited," if you can say that, from a Harvey Feud lead-in.) The numbers were so godawful that they crushed GSN's weekly averages, as I noted in my post yesterday.

Thing is, I don't mind Hellevator that much, compared to some of the other demo chasers the network has tried. At least it's a game show, even if it's a slow-paced and goopy one. Who knows, maybe Hellevator's new season this week will get better numbers. It could hardly do worse. But why doesn't GSN just run shows that get viewers, and then worry about demos later?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for asking and obtaining these ratings. I just take these reruns with a grain of salt. I think the four new episodes will do well starting this Friday.

    Not siding with GSN's decision to renew Hellevator over The Chase and Chain Reaction. All three should have been renewed.

    Of course, I would rather see new episodes-or even just reruns of The Chase and Chain Reaction any day over Hellevator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait Scott Rahner actually comments on here lol what a time to be alive

      Delete
    2. My only issue from a dollars & cents standpoint is GSN will have 4 one hour episodes w/ virtually no rerun value, as proven above. Long term, Chain Reaction, Chase and other traditional game shows should be much more profitable.

      Delete
    3. Yes, obviously it's not new. And yes, it's a Friday. But man, oh man...I have to think these are terrible numbers by ANY standard.

      Delete
    4. Yes, obviously it's not new. And yes, it's a Friday. But man, oh man...I have to think these are terrible numbers by ANY standard.

      Delete