Thursday, September 1, 2016

Tracking down Spike's new show

Tracks, Spike's sort of rewind of Name That Tune, debuted tonight.

Through some fault of its own, the show reminded me again of how old I'm getting. I qualify for Medicare next month, and my knowledge of recent pop music is unsurprisingly slim. Since this show did nothing but recent pop music - with the sole exception of Stevie Wonder's Superstition, which I actually knew something about - I was mostly at sea during the gameplay.

But the game was still fairly clever. It was a mix of pop music questions (again, mostly recent) and individual tracks to various songs. The two pairs of contestants had to answer the questions and then identify the songs from those individual tracks...drums, bass, keyboards, etc. Showrunner Christina Aguilera turned up to belt out one of the tunes, a sweet and sentimental love ditty called Fighter. (Okay, it wasn't sweet and sentimental. That's a little joke.) Bow Wow, known as Shad Moss on his birth certificate, hosted with the required oomph.

I did get one question right, about which pop star sold the most tickets to their movie. Christina was one of the choices, and I knew they wouldn't insult the producer. Otherwise, I was left wanting a classic rock version of this show. Which I don't think is going to happen. Spike is pitching Tracks at an audience half my age, or less. Sigh.

UPDATE: Tracks didn't wow the Nielsen Company. The two runs got 265K and 198K total viewers with 0.12 and 0.10 18-49 ratings. Winsanity on GSN got a lot more viewers.

3 comments:

  1. Strange prize structure...Round #1 paid $5k, Round 2 was $10K. The leader after 2 rounds kept their money and played for $25k. So basically whoever wins the 2nd round is the overall winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think the final round was twenty grand. So if you swept everything you got $35,000. About what you would expect on a cable budget.

    In the ep I saw they only handed out ten grand. This show won't bankrupt Spike.

    ReplyDelete