Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The empire strikes again

Did I ever mention that I'm not a fan of Star Wars? So I feel a little weird stealing the reference in this entry's title.

But I couldn't resist because this Forbes story tells how Shazam's "empire" keeps growing. I didn't even know Shazam had an empire. But the music app has apparently spawned a company that's valued at $1 billion even though it never makes any money. (Doesn't that sound familiar in the online world?)

As a faux tweet and the linked story mention, the app has also spawned an upcoming game show on Fox from semi-legendary producer Mark Burnett. Beat Shazam sounds like a app-y Name That Tune, where contestants play against each other to, well, name a tune, and then play against the high and mighty Shazam itself.

Other than the basic premise, nobody's offering many details about the show. No debut date, no host, not much of anything. Fox just cancelled Burnett's dating epic Coupled, but they seem to like this game show idea of his. Or maybe they're just buying into the Shazam empire.

5 comments:

  1. No surprise "Coupled" got canceled, we prefer game shows anyway.

    Also, is it just me, are you not a fan of things that most people are fans of? How do you not like STAR WARS?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy not to like a dull, overblown, endless sci-fi saga. I hear they're planning five more movies over the next four years. God help us all.

      Delete
  2. Hey Casey, do you like my ideas for game shows? Here they are:
    A Millionaire with four contestants. Of course there would probably have to be some changes, like maybe more safe spots.
    This one is an original idea. It's about words and what words can be found from the words. It would be easier for me to tell you like in a transcription:
    Host: Here are the words formed from the word BLOOD:
    BAD
    LOOKING
    OLD
    OPERATING
    DUSTY
    What could these words be describing?
    Contestant: A car.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer is so obvious:

      Game Show Forum! XD

      Delete
    2. I forgot to use that. Sorry. It's just that I wanted to see what THE GREAT CASEY ABELL thought about my ideas.

      Delete