Thursday, August 4, 2016

Singin' in the cab

As I mentioned when Spike announced the greenlight for Caraoke Showdown, the project has provoked some squawking from James Corden's producers. There's more than a passing similarity to Corden's Carpool Karaoke segments, which goes beyond the like-sounding names. Now Craig Robinson, the host of the upcoming Spike game show, has talked to Hollywood Reporter about those complaints.

"I hope he's [James Corden's] not upset," says Craig apologetically. He points out that the Spike show will give the mic to "regular people on a game show, not great singers [on a late-night show]." In fact, the game show element of Caraoke Showdown is probably what will save us from legal wrangling.

Craig also has peace offerings of praise for James and his various talents. "He's a great host - I've been on his show and we did a duet, and it was right up my alley. He gets it. I have nothing but respect for him...I know he can sing his ass off." Robinson does admit he hasn't seen any of the Carpool Karaoke segments, but he expects to get bombarded with them on his Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment