Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Where's Regis?

Rambling through the game show articles in Google News this morning, I ran across this rather puffy piece on the - have to use the word - legendary Regis Philbin.

The first thing that struck me is that Regis has acquired a much greyer head of hair. (I know about the experience first-hand, or first-head.) At age 84 it's okay if the guy gets more silvery on top. Another thing I didn't know is that Regis grew up as an only child. His one brother wasn't born until he was 20. (Sadly, Wikipedia tells me the brother died in his twenties from non-Hodgkin lymphoma.)

Otherwise the article pretty much rehashes Regis' well-known career, including the stint on that little game show about wanting to be a millionaire. A few bit and pieces about his recent TV gigs were new to me. I didn't know that he drops in on Rachel Ray's syndie, but then I'm not big on cooking. He's also subbed a couple times for James Corden, which I missed because I'm barely aware of James Corden's existence. He's the guy who replaced Craig Ferguson at 3:00 AM, right? (Okay, I've seen Corden's karaoke videos on the YouTube front page now and then.)

It's not often that a TV performer hangs around long enough that his first name makes him instantly recognizable. Regis has attained that rarefied one-name celebrity.

6 comments:

  1. The Late Late Show airs at 12;35 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he knows that. He has a thing called sarcasm.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should do sarcasm alerts from now on.

      Delete
  2. Does anybody know what changes are in store during "Price" Season 45?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one change is you not posting your "technical wins".

      Delete
  3. Regis had a semi-regular spot on Letterman's "Late Show." When Dave left, the world has seen a lot less of Regis.

    Would love to see him do another week of Super Millionaire now that ABC is back in the game show business.

    ReplyDelete