Thursday, June 30, 2016

History lesson

Oldies diginet Buzzr keeps filling my inbox with press releases. That's fine with me. The e-mails give me something to write about on this blog.

The latest missive concerns the 75th anniversary of the first game show ever on American commercial TV. It was a July 1, 1941 broadcast of Truth or Consequences on New York's WNBT. Wikipedia (usual caveats) says that it was a one-time event. The show then went on a long TV hiatus until 1950, when it returned for a multi-decade run on network television and syndication.

To celebrate this U.S. debut of our little genre, Buzzr is running an all-day marathon of black and white classics tomorrow. It's the usual trinity: What's My Line, I've Got a Secret and To Tell the Truth. Wouldn't you know, one of those shows is alive and (fairly) well on broadcast TV as I type. Anthony Anderson is conducting the TTTT panel of lie detectors on ABC.

There were also a couple of WML tapings recently with the Second City comedy troupe providing the panelists and host. Nothing seems to have come of this effort, but we can always hope.

2 comments:

  1. Knowing Buzzr, it will be from THE SAME 40 episodes of WML from 1955. I'll stick with the superb YouTube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted a link to this post over at the WML Facebook group. :)

    ReplyDelete