Sunday, May 8, 2016

Greed is good

Greed is such a powerful force in human nature that preachers have made it one of the seven deadly sins. Modern day preacher and conspiracy nutcase Oliver Stone followed suit with his parody "greed is good" speech in Wall Street. (In case you're wondering, Oliver Stone's net worth is estimated at $50 million. Like so many nutcase preachers, he really thinks that greed is only bad in other people.)

So why am I pontificating about greed on a game show blog? Because greed is a big motivator for game show contestants, of course. Except few contestants want to admit it. One of the notable exceptions is Millionaire player Ashley Ward, whose ep runs on May 10. In her contestant story she makes no bones about why she tried the show. "I thought it would be good to have a little extra money...It was all pure greed."

Well, that's sort of a joke. But just sort of. Ashley is an actress and writer who doesn't pull down Oliver Stone money, so she really could use the extra bucks. She's also honest about her nerves on the show.
It was very stressful...It was the most nervous I'd ever been. It's just a really weird feeling. It reminds me of when I was a kid, I was a good speller and I was in the school spelling bees and standing up in front of people showing them how smart, or how not smart, I was. So, you feel pressure, and you think, well, I don't want to look like an idiot but what if my brain stops working or I say something dumb?
On Millionaire if you say something dumb it can cost you real money. So greed combines with performance anxiety into a nasty cocktail.

3 comments:

  1. She won one game and $4200 on the 4/19/2001 episode

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jeopardy appearance is mentioned in the story.

    ReplyDelete