Sunday, April 24, 2016

Not senile

A pop culture q-and-a column gets an interesting query. It's really interesting for me because I happen to be 64 years old.

I’m 61 years old, not senile by any means. I seem to remember Joe Garagiola and Vin Scully both having game shows on the air at one time. No one else my age seems to remember this. Please tell me I'm right.

Dear Questioner, I'm pretty much your age and I remember the two legendary baseball broadcasters hosting game shows. In fact, the late Joe Garagiola hosted several shows in our little genre, most notably To Tell the Truth (soon to be revived on ABC with Anthony Anderson). Scully doesn't have nearly as extensive a game show resume, but he did host It Takes Two, a short-lived effort in 1969-70.

The answer man in the pop culture column provides all this trivia. And speaking of senility, both Joe and Vin remained (credibly) active into their eighties in baseball commentary.

The funniest story about either gentleman's game show exploits comes from It Takes Two. As part of his hosting duties, Vin Scully opened the trunk of a car that the show was using as a prop for a particular question. Unknown to Vinnie, the crew had put a gorgeous young lady bereft of clothing into the trunk. (The camera was focused on the front of the car, needless to say.)

The unblushing naked maiden gazed longingly at Vin, but he didn't turn a hair. He just picked up the question card, gently closed the trunk, and went on with the show as if nothing had happened. Curt Smith tells the story in his book about baseball broadcasters, Voices of the Game.

1 comment:

  1. Why do I get the feeling that ABC's version of TTTT will have Harvey Feud like humor in it.

    ReplyDelete