Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Do yourself some good and watch Match Game

I should know better than to look at HuffPo advice columns. They just get me ornery and contrary and other things bad for my blood pressure.

Case in point: this smarmy advice column from Ken Budd, who spends his time on HuffPo "redefining success beyond money and power." Ol' Ken might want to have a chat with Arianna Huffington, who founded HuffPo and sold it to AOL for a mere $315,000,000. Tell her about redefining her money, Ken.

But leave aside such HuffPo hypocrisy, which often does stink to highest heaven. One day Ken found himself watching a Match Game '78 ep. And he just got so upset with himself. "That's right: I was watching a game show from 1978. And as an ascot-clad Charles Nelson Reilly puffed his pipe and harrumphed double-entendres onscreen I thought...Is this really the best use of my time?"

Well, I dunno, Ken. At least watching Match Game keeps you from dispensing unneeded advice to the (what you consider) ignorant masses. Ken goes on to talk up do-gooder activities - I was in the Peace Corps for three years, so I've got some credits banked - and/or wonderful pursuits like "studying the impact of green macro-algal mats on the invertebrate community in intertidal mudflats and whether it's affecting the wintering wading bird population."

I'm sure that studying algae seems far more noble to Ken than watching Match Game. But my God, he comes off sounding snotty and snooty. If somebody wants to enjoy a little humor from the best game show ever, why should anyone get upset about it?

2 comments:

  1. I rarely comment on anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. All of these "do-gooders" seem to spend all their time being impressed with themselves and scolding others for not being so brilliant & enlightened & all that.

    And coincidentally, I watched Match Game 78 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely comment on anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. All of these "do-gooders" seem to spend all their time being impressed with themselves and scolding others for not being so brilliant & enlightened & all that.

    And coincidentally, I watched Match Game 78 this morning.

    ReplyDelete