Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The first item is a nice one

Game show news has slowed to a trickle during the holiday season. So I'm doing something I've done a few times before: write a blog entry about the first game show item I see in Google News. Luckily for me, the item is a nice one. And it fits right in with the Christmas spirit. Celebrity Name Game's Craig Ferguson has made a large donation to a children's hospital in Scotland.

The hospital is in Aberdeen, and the donation is described as "transformational." Which I think means "really, really big." The linked story says: "The Ferguson family have requested that the donation amount remain a secret, although it is believed to be six-figures." I assume the six figures are all to the left side of the decimal point.

My cynical self gets a little queasy when the media report loudly on large charitable donations by celebs. Wouldn't quiet giving be a little more, I dunno, sincere? But hey, money is money and I'm sure the hospital can use the funds.

Craig Ferguson comes from Scotland, of course...Glasgow, to be exact. He's now a naturalized U.S. citizen and has even written a memoir called American on Purpose. But he still has some ties to the old country. Wikipedia (usual caveats) says he's a fan of Partick Thistle Football Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment