Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Another nostalgia net

I really don't spend much time on old-television cable nets and subchannels. YouTube has plenty of old game shows when I feel nostalgic, and I'm not much interested in ancient sitcoms, dramas and talk shows. Truth be told, I'm not much interested in current sitcoms, dramas and talk shows.

So I had never heard of getTV, a Sony nostalgia net that specializes in old variety shows and talkers, like Merv Griffin's chatfest that ran from the '60s to the '80s in various formats. But I ran across an item in Google News about getTV which had a game show angle. The diginet threw a little party to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Merv's entrance into the syndie talk wars back in 1965. getTV regularly runs the show throughout the week.

The game show angle, of course, is Merv's pair of Sony soulmates that still ride comfortably atop the syndication ratings. Vanna White from Wheel of Fortune showed up at the bash and praised Merv effusively. She obviously has good reason to like Mervyn, as she admits...

He was the kindest, gentlest, sweetest man I've ever known. Seriously. I'm not just saying that because of what he did for me. I said earlier, he was intoxicating. You were around him, you wanted to be around him. He was addicting. He made you feel so good.

Well, there was that time when Merv showed up at The Kiss. He probably made Vanna feel pretty good then.

2 comments: