Monday, October 5, 2015

Eek, a game show

Dread Central, a horror genre site, had one of their writers watch a rough cut of Hellevator, GSN's upcoming Jason Blum project. It's probably the same rough cut Scott Rahner saw and reviewed at Game Show Network News.

No, this post isn't about the show, which I'll review when it debuts October 21. This post is about sending the wrong person to do a job. The reviewer at Dread Central cheerfully admits: "I am not a fan of game shows."

Okay, then why did your boss send you to review something you're not going to like? The reviewer does admit that she likes reality shows. That's her right, of course, though I think she's wasting her time. (I'm not a fan of reality trash TV.)

To cut the suspense which I know is killing you, I'll reveal that, surprise, surprise, the reviewer didn't like Hellevator because it's not reality-ish enough. Or as she puts it, she didn't get to "know or care" enough about the contestants and the hosts.

Maybe somebody should have explained to her that the point of a game show is to play a game, not to get to know the people on the screen. (What she really means is that she didn't see enough of the asinine whining and backbiting so characteristic of reality trash TV.) The point of Jeopardy is the quizzer, not Alex's mercifully brief contestant interviews.

I have no idea whether Hellevator is any good or not. But I do know it's a game show, and somebody who wants a game show to be a reality show doesn't have a clue about reviewing an entrant in our little genre.

6 comments:

  1. In other news, Fox News ran an article about "Family Feud" getting too sexual. This should be the subject for your next blog post.

    www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/10/02/family-feud-not-so-family-friendly-anymore/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already referred to it in the "Video From Our Little Genre" section. And since it's my blog, I'll decide what should be the subject of my next post.

      Delete
  2. I'm a very unliked person too, more unliked than Vanna Nissan is. I've been finding that out this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shut up with your hateful comments.

      Delete
    2. Guys, take the argument elsewhere, please. I've already had to delete one post due to profanity.

      Delete
  3. The reviewer of this post also said that Hellevator would stick with regular, casual viewers, but not the horror viewers. I think it's the far opposite. Just check out social media amongst GSN viewers, which are the "casual viewers."

    It probably was the same episode and if so, I agree with Dread Central's post that the Soska sisters have very little introduction, especially to those outside of the horror world.

    ReplyDelete