Monday, September 7, 2015

Road map

Hadn't dropped by the TPiR board Golden Road for quite a while. This mainly reflects my tepid attitude toward The Price is Right. I'm not a fan, I'm not a foe, I'm just not much of anything when it comes to the CBS merchandise fest. Sure, I respect the show's longevity and its continued appeal to a sizable fanbase. It's just that shopping games have never been my fave. Personal taste, yes, but what can I do about it?

On the game show Interwebs Golden Road has a reputation as, to put it bluntly, Bob's board. Many G-R posters seem far more interested in reminiscing about the glorious Barker years than in discussing the current version of the show. Sure enough, there's a pinned thread at the top of the main category about - hallelujah! - Bob's appearance on a podcast. This leads into much chat about Bob's relationship to Rod and other minutiae from twenty or thirty years ago.

The overall attitude of the thread - and G-R in general - looks to be summed up in one poster's tagline: "I haven't actively watched the show for almost a year now...because the show is no longer fun for me to watch. How anyone is still enjoying the show is beyond me."

The Nielsen Company says that every day five to seven million people still somehow find the show watchable. And to be fair, it's always a mixed bag on any Internet board, and some G-R posters think Drew's eps are at least discussable. But the heavy atmosphere of nostalgia for Bob is ever-present.

No comments:

Post a Comment