Sunday, September 27, 2015

Buzzr mentions Celebrity Name Game?

Except for reviews of two old game show pilots on Buzzr, I haven't commented much about the digital subchannel lately. I really don't have much to say about Buzzr because - like most people in the U.S. - I don't get the subchannel on my cable provider. And sorry, I'm not going to bother with a digital antenna hookup for one oldies outlet.

But now and then I drop by the Buzzr Facebook page just to see what's going on with the Fremantle project. The strangest thing I saw lately on the page was the entry shown in the screenshot. Celebrity Name Game has somehow appeared on the Buzzr site? That's like an iPad popping up in the middle of a Smithsonian exhibit of 18th century colonial artifacts.

Wouldn't you know, one commenter on the page sputtered: Is this a joke, Buzzr? A calmer poster pointed out that CNG is a Fremantle show, so it's not exactly unnatural for Buzzr to plug it. That didn't pacify the original commenter who huffed: Surprised as I wouldn't think most people who watch or follow buzzr here would give this a shot. Maybe I'm wrong...I cant speak for others...but, it doesn't appeal to me...

That's probably true about most of Buzzr's (not enormous) viewership. Already I can detect a bit of panic that Buzzr might actually, gulp, one day run shows that don't carry decades of dust. Heavens!

But another commenter may be looking forward to such a grim eventuality: so we're doing more recent shows on Buzzr now? can we get WITWI Carmen San Diego? Well, it's true that the 20-year-old Carmen Sandiego is more "recent" than Buzzr's usual fare. But of course it's not a Fremantle show, so don't hold your breath.

3 comments:

  1. It took long enough, but the channel just became available in Mpls. as of Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buzzr got onto the third subchannel (9.3) of WFTC, the duopoly station of the Fox O&O in Minneapolis. Actually, that's similar to the situation here in Dallas-Fort Worth. Buzzr is on the third subchannel (27.3) of KDFI, the duopoly station of the Fox O&O in Dallas.

      The real issue is getting Buzzr onto cable systems, where most people watch TV nowadays.

      Delete
  2. my cable system carries 9.3 or whatever it is on channel 220... replacing "bounce."

    ReplyDelete