Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Letters, we get letters

A few posts ago, I referred to a bit of tsuris on the blog. Some of the turmoil came from an anonymous AOL commenter hiding behind what the service delicately calls an "opaque identifier."

Even though nobody knows you're a dog on the Internet, anonymity isn't perfect. From the commenter's politics, language, references, and some other hints I'm not going to discuss, I've got an idea about a possible identity. I could be flat wrong, though, so I'll keep my idea to myself.

Not that it really matters. I'm not going to stop anonymous comments on the blog. I'm also free and easy about personal insults and obnoxious language directed at moi. The commenter was obviously trying to provoke me into a crackdown, but I didn't want to provide the satisfaction. A long time ago I did delete one (1) post from another commenter for gross obscenity.

I always use my real name when I post anything on the Internet. A true identity does offer some valuable restraint when the pixels get heated. (Can pixels actually get heated? I don't think so.) It would be nice if everybody followed the same rule. But that might make the Internet a far more boring place, might it not?

9 comments:

  1. If you want to think so, fine. By the way, "few people" continue to notice Julia, as HuffPo so accurately observed. She's only been all over every media outlet in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she'll wind up as a Chaser on the Chase.

      Delete
    2. It would be hard to make her into a heel, to use the pro wrestling term. Arthur Chu would be better for that show (wink).

      Delete
  2. Except they're already talking to Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you choose to use your personal name for your Internet writings in the first place? Were you afraid of the risks involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been an easy choice. Using my actual name really does make me think twice before posting, which provides some valuable restraint when things get heated.

      Not that I've always been sweetness and light on the Internet. I've had my share of not so noble moments. But using my real name has prevented a few embarrassments, I think.

      Delete
    2. No, you should use sockpuppet accounts, so you could post about how Gene Rayburn crapped his pants or ask why Bil Kulin tozzed uh putato et duh conteztanz :D

      Delete