Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Apology?

Wheel of Fortune is bending over backwards to apologize for last night's puzzle, "The Fast and the Furious."

Have to admit I watched the show last night and didn't give the puzzle a second thought. I realize that a few folks might find the timing questionable so soon after Paul Walker's death. But I don't see why Wheel has to apologize for a show that was taped and scheduled weeks ago for December 2. There were no disrespectful references to the movie series or its actors. It was just the Final Spin puzzle and nobody said anything about it. Pat Sajak only went on to recap the final scores with the contestants.

But today the show and Sajak are apologizing plenty on Twitter for the puzzle. While I respect the show's wishes not to offend Mr. Walker's family, friends and fans, I also think this contrition for a nonexistent "crime" is a little overdone. Maybe the timing wasn't the best, but the show hardly need be ashamed. At least that's my possibly insensitive opinion. Still, the show decided to err on the side of caution.

4 comments:

  1. Who cares, game show world. Shouldn't be a big deal at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. No big deal. I don't see why the media makes it such a big deal. Someone dies, and there can't be any mention of the movie on a game show? I didn't even know who Paul Walker was, to be honest. I mean, I'm sorry he died, and sorry for his family, but seriously, it's just a game show. I can see this being on CNN's Reliable Sources, or Fox News' MediaBuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a commercial on AMC the day after he died, for the latest DVD I guess. There was a fiery car crash in the commercial. Even then I only thought, wow, bad timing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with that whole post. I don't know what it is lately, but people seem to love -- in the past few years -- making something out of nothing. I couldn't believe when I heard this was a "controversy." How dare they air something related to someone who has died or might possibly die before the show airs. Not like they could've looked into their crystal ball and avoided it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete