Sunday, September 1, 2013

Voting rights act

At About.com Carrie Grosvenor has posted a poll on the best new game show of the summer. For me it's a no-brainer, which is good because I don't have much of a brain. I plumped for the show which got my most favorable review, The Chase.

But as the long, endlessly updated blog entry a few days ago attests, I'm getting nervous about the show's fate on GSN. The network didn't bother to run two of the first season eps and has cut the show back to a couple of Tuesday reruns. Given the less than overwhelming numbers for Chase repeats, I'm afraid that even those Tuesday slots may not endure. Ratings have been spotty though occasionally semi-impressive for the show, which remains more of a website darling than any kind of runaway hit.

The other three shows Carrie lists - Apolo Ohno's Minute To Win It, The Winner Is, and Hollywood Game Night - were all okay in my correctly ignored opinion. Carrie really likes Hollywood Game Night, but the party atmosphere seems a little artificial to me. Still, the show is certainly watchable and rightfully earned a renewal from NBC.

Few have voted in the poll so far. If you don't have anything else to do this Labor Day weekend, why not cast a ballot? It costs $0.00.

1 comment: